What is my financial commitment?
1. The start-up payments, the membership type and the associated lump-sum or monthly direct debit membership fees, initial payment term and payment dates you have chosen are set out in the ‘My Membership’ box on the application form (the initial term is the first period of membership).
2. If you are paying by direct debit, your signature on the credit-card or debit-card form authorises us to use that card to take the monthly payment if we do not receive your direct-debit payment for any reason. If you fall behind with your membership fees and this is not caused by a bank error, we may charge reasonable administration fees or suspend or cancel your membership and we may pass your details to a debt-collection company to recover any outstanding payments.
3. We may decide to increase our membership fees, but your fees will not increase in your initial term of membership (unless you do not provide ID for a membership type that requires it). We will give you one month’s notice of any fee change. If you pay your membership fees as a lump-sum payment, we will only review your membership fees when your membership is due for renewal.
What can I use and when?
4. What you can use will depend on the type of membership you have chosen (see the ‘Memberships Tab’). Before signing the membership agreement, please make sure you are aware of all of the membership options and what your membership allows you to use, including access times. Please speak to a member of staff if anything is unclear.
4.1 Any activities/courses/seminars that are not included in the monthly membership will be charged as stated to both members and non-members. These are additional to any advertised membership options.
4.2 Any activities/courses/seminars that include 'Unlimited Gym & Class' access are limited to those packages stated to non-members only. A non-member is classed as someone; who has never been a Academy Fitness member or those past members that have terminated their membership are only classed so after a 3 full calender months post termination period.
Example: Terminated membership 1st January, still classed as a member until 31st March.
4.3 If a member has had their membership on freeze for a minimum 3 full calender month period then they must unfreeze and pay both membership fees and activities/courses/seminars fees.
What if I want to leave or stop going to my club?
5. If you need to take a temporary break from your facility for any reason you can freeze your membership for a reduced fee, for one to 12 months, at any time after your second month of membership. ‘Freezes’ begin on the 1st of each month and you need to request the freeze at least five working days before this. If you freeze your membership within your initial payment term, these ‘frozen months’ do not count towards your initial contract length.
6. You can cancel your membership within 14 days of joining and we will refund any membership fees you have paid as long as we receive your cancellation notice within this time frame. In that situation, we will also refund any other fees which you may have paid as long as you have not yet used those services.
7. If you pay your membership fees upfront in one single lump sum, your membership will automatically end at the end of the initial term unless you choose to renew it. If you pay your membership fees monthly by direct debit, your membership will automatically continue at the end of the initial term unless you give us one full calendar month’s notice to end it. (Your one month’s notice must end on the last day of the initial term.) If your contract rolls over after the initial term, you can end your membership by giving us one full calendar month’s notice. You must pay your full membership rate during your month’s notice. You can give us notice: by emailing us at: ; or by writing to Academy Fitness (address above). Example: You give notice on any day in April, but your full calendar month’s notice will not start until 1 May and you will leave on 31 May (your final payment will be for the month of May).
8. You can cancel your membership at any time if your circumstances change to such an extent that it is not possible for you to continue to use the facilities (for example, you have an injury or medical condition, become pregnant, move to a different workplace, move house or are made redundant). We will need to receive documents as proof of the change in your circumstances by the 15th of the month in order to cancel your membership at the end of that month. If we receive documents after the 15th of the month your final membership fees will be taken the following month and your membership will be cancelled at the end of that month. We will refund any fees you have paid upfront for a membership period that has not yet passed. You can also cancel your membership if we seriously break these terms and conditions. We can cancel your membership if: you have seriously broken the facility rules or any terms of this contract; you do not pay any fee or charge within seven days of the date it was due, and we have written to you and given you a further 14 days to pay (so the fee or charge is more than 21 days late); the facility permanently closes (if this happens, we will refund any membership fees you have paid upfront for a period of membership that has not yet been completed); or for any other reason if we consider it necessary to end your contract.
What else should I know?
9. Our staff, agents and subcontractors are not medically qualified so if you have any doubts about your fitness or capability to exercise, we strongly recommend that you get advice from a doctor first. For safety reasons, you are responsible for correctly using all facilities and agree to keep to the conditions in the Health Commitment Statement, which is available from our staff and online. If you are not sure how to use any equipment, always ask a member of staff.
10. Personal trainers in our facility are self-employed. Any service they provide is a contract between them and you and we cannot accept any responsibility if a personal trainer breaks the contract or is negligent, unless the negligence results in injury or death.
11. We will not be liable to you for any loss, damage or theft of any property you bring onto our premises while it is not in a locked locker. The most we will pay you for any loss, damage or theft to property while it is in a locked locker is £100 (for any one incident) if the loss, damage or theft is caused by our (or our employees’, agents’ or subcontractors’) negligence. You must keep to our facility rules, which are available in our facility and online at www.academyfitness.org. We may change our facility rules if this is reasonably necessary. We will give you plenty of notice if we decide to do this. We can transfer all or any part of our rights or responsibilities under this contract to another organisation, but this will not affect your rights under the contract.
12. Please note that Academy Fitness has the right to make amendments to any of it's 'Terms & Conditions' , membership options and any other services it may offer any any time. We will endeavor to inform all our members of any changes prior to final amendments. It may be the case that we are unable to inform members of any changes of the above.